Facility for Euro-Mediterranean Investment and Partnership (FEMIP)
All our work to assist the economic and social development of the Mediterranean partner countries  is brought together under FEMIP. The partnership supports growth and job creation in two priority areas:
Private sector support:
- Micro, small and medium-sized enterprises (MSMEs), especially those involved in industry, tourism and services
- Industrial sector: cement and steel works, chemical and metallurgical plants, high-tech industries, automotives and agro-industry
Creating an investment-friendly environment enabling the private sector to flourish by improving infrastructure in the following sectors:
- Energy: power generation, transmission and distribution, renewable energies
- Transport and telecoms: airports, air transport, roads and motorways, bridges, railways, telecoms
- Environment: water and sanitation, solid waste disposal and treatment, pollution abatement, irrigation
- Human and social capital: construction and refurbishment of hospitals/healthcare-centres, schools/colleges, social housing
A major player
FEMIP began in 2002, an important intensification of a more than 30-year financial partnership between the region and the EIB. Since 2002, EUR 14,8bn has been invested through FEMIP. For more details of our total, regional and sectoral activities see here.
A partnership role
FEMIP has become a key player in the partnership between the EU and the Southern and Eastern Mediterranean countries, part of a process encouraging economic renewal and openness. We cooperate with several national and multilateral actors and we actively support the goals of the Union for the Mediterranean.
 Algeria, Egypt, Gaza/West Bank, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Syria* and Tunisia and soon Libya.
* Following EU sanctions in Nov 2011, EIB suspended all disbursements for loans and technical assistance contracts with the Syrian state.